Welcome to Parkside Chalet!
Where retro-chic meets old-world charm. Located adjacent to Palmer Park, this home has everything you're looking for in a vacation rental. The best trails and outdoor adventures are right out the back door of this centrally located home! Be sure to pack your hiking boots and bring your bikes. Parkside Old World Chalet is the main floor of a two-story, single family home and has a large patio that faces Palmer Park. Adventurous families who love spectacular scenery and may like to hike will enjoy staying at Parkside. It’s a great spot for families to have reunions and stay when visiting family members at Colorado College, Air Force Academy, NORAD or Ft. Carson. This rustic original decor chalet features 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a full size kitchen, family room with fireplace, living room and washer and dryer. The lower level is an owner's suite. George (owner) and Chloe (his pug dog sidekick and companion) may be on-site during your stay, you are welcome to interact with them or keep your privacy. The choice is aways yours.
THE CHALET'S HISTORY
The Chalet was designed by the owner's mother and it is his childhood family home. “His mother was inspired by a stagecoach stop built in the 1860’s in what is now Keystone Ski Area. His parents used to take him out of school to go skiing at Arapahoe Basin, and stay at The Ski Tip Lodge. Max and Edna Dercum (founders of both Arapahoe Basin and Keystone) bought the old stagecoach stop in the 1930’s and converted it into a ski lodge.”
Several times when he was a little boy his mom would ask him to sit with her in the common room at Ski Tip Lodge. She’d point out the rough hewn logs that supported the open beam ceiling and the giant fireplace chimney reaching two stories into the sky. You will see both of those architectural features in Parkside Chalet now. His mother also drove her Dodge station wagon up to an an abandoned rancher’s cabin south of Colorado Springs and liberated the rough hewn log that now serves as a mantle above the fireplace.
The rocks on the island with the oak tree on it in the middle of the driveway in front of Parkside Chalet got there via his mother’s gumption as well. While driving up to the construction site while building the house she saw a dump truck hauling a load of rocks from another location. “She flagged the driver down and asked if she could have some of the rocks in his truck dumped at her house.” He said "I don't think so lady. My boss wouldn't like it." She said "Here's 20 bucks. I'll show you where I want em."
The backyard adjoins Palmer Park which is filled with spectacular sandstone rock formations. It’s a hiking and trail running destination for people from all over the Pikes Peak area. It’s also a favored training ground for the US Olympic mountain biking team.The lower level is an owner's suite.
George's 14 year old Pug dog Chloe who is the real host of the house or should we say "Runs the roost of the house" was rescued off the streets of Bakersfield, CA — where she had been abandoned by a breeder after producing several litters. George adopted her and she became his girl. She’s his saddle partner and life companion. They roam around the western United States together and stop to hike, ski and ride mountain bikes in the deserts and mountains.
Parkside Chalet is awaiting your next Colorado adventure. Many wonderful memories have been made here. We hope that you will have some too!
ACCOMMODATIONS: Sleeps (8)
- BR1 , Master Suite with King Bed and Private Bath
- BR 2, King Bed
- BR 3, Four Twin Beds
Xfinity High Speed116.45 Mbps
- Roku Smart TV for use with your own apps
- Full Kitchen
- Outdoor Patio
- Gas Fireplace
- Washer and Dryer
- Handicap Accessible Ramp in Rear
- Quiet hours are 10 pm to 8 am (Please be courteous!)
- Smoking is not allowed in the home.
- The lower level is an owner's suite and the owner may be on-site during your stay. There are no shared spaces inside the home.
This is a dog-friendly property, however, please notify us if your dog accompanies you and the following additional charges will apply. A $30 per day/fee will be charged for your pet(s) and a $250 refundable pet deposit is required. Two (2) dogs maximum. No drooling breeds, please. Weight limit 40 pounds. Pet owners must clean up after their pets to avoid additional charges.
Dogs must be kept on a leash while on the property. Palmer Park has designated leash-free dog trails for your pup's enjoyment.
- US Olympic & Paralympic Training Center 3 mi
- Downtown Colorado Springs 4 mi
- Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center 4 mi
- Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum 4 mi
- US Olympic & Paralympic Museum 4 mi
- Memorial Park 4 mi
- Pulpit Rock Open Space 6 mi
- Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame 6 mi
- Old Colorado City 6 mi
- Red Rock Canyon Open Space 7 mi
- Academy Riding Stables 7 mi
- Garden of the Gods Visitors Center 7 mi
- Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site 7 mi
- Broadmoor Seven Falls 7 mi
- Bear Creek Regional Park 7 mi
- Downtown Manitou Springs 9 mi
- Miramont Castle 9 mi
- Broadmoor World Arena 9 mi
- Cave of the Winds 10 mi
- Manitou Springs Cliff Dwellings 10 mi
- Manitou Incline 10 mi
- North Cheyenne Canon Park 10 mi
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo 11 mi
- Colorado Springs Airport 12 mi
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park 13 mi
- Western Museum of Mining and Industry 14 mi
- Air Force Academy Visitors Center 17 mi
- Castle Rock 40 mi
- Outlets at Castle Rock 43 mi
- Denver International Airport 80 mi
- Air Force Academy 9 mi
- Peterson Air Force Base 9 mi
- Fort Carson 14 mi
- Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station 15 mi
- Schriever Air Force Base 22 mi
Come visit us at Parkside, we would love to host you and your family!
Other homes you might like
Book Your Stay
Toll Free (888) 519-3298